Monday, August 15, 2011

Being an Intentional Woman

Guess it has been a while... This time of year is always hectic, but this year has been particularly busy, and many of my own pursuits have been pushed to the side for the moment.  (Unfortunately that has included things like housework, time with my husband, time with God, reading uplifting books and blogs..) But we are thankfully settling back into the familiar routine of school, band/football/baseball practices, and church stuff. The summer days have flown by at an alarming rate, and I have felt a little off balance lately.  So this morning in my quiet house, I am taking a look at my life, heart, and relationships, trying to figure out where I am and where I need to be.  I don't like the feeling of wandering aimlessly through these busy days.

Our Tuesday morning ministry at church has a new name.  It is now called "iWoman" which stands for "Intentional Woman".  This is what I want to be.  Intentional.  About my faith, my relationships, (particularly with my husband and kids), my time, and even how I spend these few minutes that God gives me to write... After all, how can a life have purpose if it isn't lived intentionally?  So that's what I'm doing this morning... asking God to give me more than just direction, to show me His purpose for me in this season, so that I can be intentional about serving Him in my home, in my church, in my new job teaching preschool, in my writing, in my relationships.  I think it is time to stop focusing so much on what I'm not good at, and start focusing on becoming the woman He created me to be. I think I have been so discouraged by where I'm NOT that I have been standing still, afraid to move forward.   So, in this season of beginnings, I want to start fresh, stop dwelling on what I lack, and walk forward with the confidence that God will bring to completion what he started in me. 

The verse I am memorizing today is Galatians 5:25, "Since this is the kind of life we have chosen, the life of the Spirit, let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives."

*If you find yourself in the same place I've been, wanting to move forward with God but not sure where to begin, consider this your invitation to join us for iWoman on Tuesdays at Willowbrook this fall, starting in September.  We'll meet from 9-11am in the Youth Outbuilding.  Visitors welcome, childcare free with reservation.  Go to www.winningwomentochrist.org and click the link for iWoman for schedule and contact info.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you took time to write this morning, Kari. In particular, I related to your sentence: "I have been so discouraged by where I'm NOT that I have been standing still, afraid to move forward." When Steve and I were in Ecuador, I was often reluctant to speak (VERY uncharacteristic of me) because I was afraid I would get the verb tenses wrong or mess up the sentence structure. I wanted my Spanish to be perfect before I spoke. And, now I know that was never going to happen. Steve, on the other hand, with much less Spanish study under his belt, just moved forward, talking his head off, murdering the Spanish language. But, the people loved him!! In retrospect, I know I missed some great opportunities. I'm glad to read that you are correcting this tendency you see in your own life, and you still have plenty of time to "get it right." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete